Eggplant on the Grill
Recently Taste Tester #1 and I have made it a point to enjoy the beautiful weather and make use of the communal grills on our apartment’s rooftop. Neither of us has owned our own personal before, so this summer has been a new cooking experience and adventure for us. I’ve seen Taste Tester #1 blossom from my kitchen sous chef into our grill-master. With all the new BBQ, Fried Chicken and cocktail spots popping up around the city and causing havoc on the waistline, we have been trying to eat healthier when at home. Grilling vegetables is a great way to impart new flavors onto old standbys and still coming away feeling that you ate a great, filling meal.
Grilled Eggplant Bruschetta with Non-Fat Ricotta Cheese Serves 2
Ingredients: 1 Medium Purple Eggplant ¾ cup non-fat ricotta cheese 3 medium tomatoes ¼ cup loosely packed chopped fresh basil ½ cup of olive oil 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar Pinch of salt, pepper, garlic powder 1 teaspoon honey
- Combine ¼ cup of olive oil, vinegar, pinch of seasonings and honey into a bowl and whisk into a vinaigrette
- Slice eggplant into ½ inch rounds and salt both sides, leave out to sweat for at least a half hour and then use a paper towel to soak up the excess condensation
- Dice up tomato and chiffonade basil and combine with vinaigrette in a bowl
- Preheat grill to 350 degrees
- Brush both sides of eggplant with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper
- Grill eggplant for 3-4 minutes a side until grill marks appear
- Plate eggplant and top each slice with a small dollop of ricotta cheese and tomato/basil mixture
To make this dish into a full meal we heated up some brown rice to accompany the eggplant.
[jetpack_subscription_form title="Subscribe to Beyond ExpecTASTEtions" subscribe_text="If you liked this post and want to see more sign-up to get updates!" subscribe_button="Sign Me Up" show_subscribers_total="0"]